What is Esports Betting and How Does It Work?
Esports and esports betting go hand in hand. Now that we are in the digital age, we can now participate in betting done online through video games. In fact, esports betting is increasing its profit year by year. Although the fanbase is almost half than the ones from physical sports, its large amount of profit is consistently rising.
What?s with the Hype About Esports Betting?
Esports betting is similarly coined with the term electronic sports gambling. When money is involved in sports, it can be pretty serious. Similar to other physical sports, betting on players is not new to anyone and is taken very seriously, usually with very large amounts of money involved.
Today, esports has been attracting thousands of online gamers and gamblers all around the world as we can now easily access and witness these competitive games online. In fact, esports attracts massive numbers of live audiences every time a competition takes place. The number of attendees in 2017 World Championship of Intel Extreme Masters that took place in Katowice, Poland is almost more than the total attendees of the Super Bowl. Plus, millions of esports lover are going on live stream globally in platforms such as Twitch.tv. This is why esports is one of the most popular forms of betting and entertainment today.
What is Considered Esports?
Esports are basically video games played professionally. One can participate or bet on these esports. One of the most popular types these days is fantasy esports ? online contests where participants create imaginary or virtual teams of real players and compete against others on websites. However, not everything is considered esports. There are key genres that are looked into to make a game be considered an esport.
- Combats games that are FPS or First Person Shooters which are played by a single player or by teams.
- Battle games that make two teams into an opposition also known as Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA).
- Immersive or recreational sports simulation games such as NBA2K or FIFA.
- Popular fighting games such as Tekken and Mortal Kombat is considered esports.
- Casual games that are easy to play and does not need more engagement of the players such as Clash Royale.
How Esports Betting Works
Because there are a variety of games involved in Esports, betting can vary from one game to another. These are some of the most popular forms of betting in Esports:
1. Match Winner: The odds of winning the game is equal to one depending on the number of bets to a particular individual player or team.
2. Betting Outrights: Gamblers bet whichever team or individual player wins before the match officially starts. There are also bettors who choose to bet on the players who will advance on the stages. Others bet on which team or player will be eliminated.
3. Totals: Gamblers tend to pay attention to the total statistics of every team or player which will be the base of winning. Regardless of which player or team wins, the stats are more given emphasis than of the outcome.
Esports betting has been making huge waves to online gamers all around the globe. Although esports betting is not as much as good with the physical sports gambling in terms of lay market, there?s a big chance that esports will get featured and given appropriate bet markets.